Saturday, June 22, 2013

New Quilt Schemes

 Look at the fabric goodness that came in the mail!  I have a very dear aunt who has asked me to make her a quilt.  I also have another aunt who loves to hand quilt and has offered to quilt it for her after I have made it.  They were shopping at a quilt shop with Mom and sent me a picture of a lovely Lonestar Quilt all made out of batiks. I've never worked much with batiks, but it sounded like a good chance to try something new.  I'm not sure I can accomplish the Lonestar idea quickly enough to get this thing done in a reasonable time, but I saw a quilt that got my creative juices flowing here.  Maybe because of the beautiful quilting?  Wanting to keep things somewhat simple for hand quilting, I remembered the Mariposa quilt I had made several years ago with a sawtooth star block.  Then I found this half light, half dark version of a chain block with some samplers stars.
Then I started to make some sketches.  In case you were wondering, this is how UFOs are born.  A new idea comes along and everything else that was in the works gets pushed aside.  So now I'm off to make a test block or two while inspiration is flowing.  

7 comments:

Kath said...

Oh I did smile, I am exactly the same...

Sheila said...

Beautiful fabrics. I like batiks :)
Oh yes. I know what you mean ....

Andee said...

Indeed it is how UFO's are born...lol I hope this one gets to completion..but sometimes the fun is in planning it all out!

Quilter Kathy said...

Yes indeed...inspiration has produced a new project and birthed some UFO's in the process...LOL!

Kate said...

Have fun with those beauties.

sunny said...

You described perfectly how UFO's are made. A pencil and some graph paper can take me places!

Amy said...

Oooooooooo!!! Those ARE gorgeous! Beauties!

And yup; perfect description of how UFOs are born.