Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Slowly

I'm slowly taming the blue scrap jar. As I was digging through, I found lots of bits and pieces that were big enough to turn into squares and triangles for other ongoing projects.  I fished those out and spent part of the afternoon yesterday cutting them down.  Most of the remaining strings and crumbs have been sewn together.  Those got ironed this afternoon and grouped by size.  It is a slow process, but it is starting to look a little less chaotic.  Maybe by tomorrow I'll be ready to start squaring up some more finished string blocks. 
Kurt came home last night with news that one of his good friends from work had some bad news about his wife's cancer.  She has already been through a round of chemo and radiation and was given an 85% chance of full recovery.  Unfortunately the treatment didn't work and the cancer has advanced.  I offered to make a quilt (it's what I do) and had him look up the ribbon color for colon cancer.  It is blue.  Having a variety of blue projects to choose from, I pulled him in to the studio and we decided on one of my blue scrap patterns from the Rainbow Challenge.  That one has obviously moved up on the priority list.  I think I'll rearrange the order of projects for scrappy Saturday and finish the top off this weekend.  The good news is that I used up ALL my 2.5 inch squares and had to go to the strips to cut some more.  Step by step I'm taming the scraps. 

11 comments:

Linda Lee said...

A perfect gift. She will know she is covered with love and hope when she holds the quilt.

Lucky Duck Dreams said...

As a cancer survivor I know your blue quilt will be most appreciated. My blue scrap project has turned into a table runner for a family Christmas gift exchange this weekend-I guess I need to finish it then! Good luck!

Sue Daurio said...

what a wonderful gift!! Touching story. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Jan Maree said...

There is no better motivation to finish a quilt than to give it to someone who needs it. Soudns like just the right medicine to me.

Quilter Kathy said...

As soon as a quilt has an intended recipient, I am way more motivated to finish it. So glad that a blue quilt in progress will find a good home! I'm sure your generous gift will be appreciated!

Amanda said...

It's good to have someone already to receive your blue quilt, though sad that it's not for a happier reason. I found that sorting the scraps out was half the battle; after that ideas started falling into place.

Amy said...

Oh Angela--I am happy you are making progress on your Blues and that a recipient will be receiving one of your beautiful quilts.

Darling Jill Quilts said...

I think making the wife a quilt will be a great way to use the scraps!

And I have to say that I am still shocked by the amount of scraps you store in that little jar!

LuAnn said...

You are doing a great job on those blue scraps. The cancer quilt will be wonderful and much appreciated. I hope for the best for her.

Angela said...

You are making wonderful progress on using up those blue scraps, and your quilt sounds like a wonderful gift which I'm sure will bring comfort at such a worrying time.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

My husband at the age of 43 has just been diagnosed with a huge tumor in his colon, meet with the surgeon tomorrow.