Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Busyness

It is hard to believe that it is Wednesday already and I had yet to sew a stitch this week. I don't have a particularly good reason, just life. When Kurt was out of town last week he called and said they wanted him to go on another trip this week. He took a look at the schedule and decided that it was going to take both of us to get through it.
The kids have open house at their school for two nights, the one where you go in and hear the teacher talk . They schedule open houses for all the extra programs at the same time, so were are finding out about Odyssey of the Mind and the strings program as well. There is still a bit of a learning curve when starting over at a new school, but we are getting it figured out I think. Kurt swore that he wasn't going to coach an OM team this year, but now he knows the topics and they've got him hooked. Mousetrap cars or a Rube Goldberg Machine! Ahh, bliss for an engineer. Anna had a trip to the ophthalmologist yesterday as well, they dilated her eyes which was pretty funny really. I think Kurt is off to volleyball tonight, but I'm going to stay here with the kids and let them get an early night, I think they could use it. It's a three day weekend coming up and I think we are all looking forward to a respite.
So here is my slightly wonky attempt at block 25. It is called Guiding Star and I find it to be needlessly complex. Honestly, looking at those little white strips in the center, what do they add to the design? I'm being cross because the middle section didn't want to play nice. The points are not pointy, the section isn't square and so I've decided that it would be better to just replace it with a plain old red square instead. If I ever do this block again, I will try it that way. Other than the fiddly middle section, the rest was simple paper piecing. I continue to be puzzled by the order of the sections. I would naturally start in the middle and work my way out symmetrically. The directions don't say to do that though so I will live with the apparently random seam allowance.

4 comments:

Retrogirl said...

Wonky? Hardly! Beautiful blocks!!!
Happy Quilting,
Heather

Linda Lee said...

Enjoy these busy times--They go by fast-you will miss them when they are over!!!

Amanda said...

The wonkiness is so slight that I don't imagine you'll be able to see it at all once it's set with the other blocks (well, you will of course, but other people won't). And I do think the little white strips look good.

Darling Jill Quilts said...

I like the white strips, too, but I don't understand why she didn't do the entire thing as paper pieced. That is just odd.

Love the colors and your block turned out great!