Tuesday, August 11, 2009

First Day of School

The first day of school has come and gone.

Brand new outfits. Freshly sharpened pencils. Backpacks stuffed to overflowing.



So many mixed emotions flowing through us all.

Funny story. The kids are in aftercare this year for the first time. I worry about them because that is what moms do. I thought I would let them go and get signed in yesterday, but not make them stay too long. So I rushed through my own work and dashed to the school to pick them up as soon as possible. They didn't want to go home. Sydney stomped her foot and demanded to stay longer because she hadn't had enough time to play with her friends. I couldn't drag her out the door until after I promised to pick her up later today.
My own students return tomorrow. I think everything is ready and waiting for them. I guess I'll find out soon enough. I haven't spent much time lately looking and commenting on everyone's blog. I'm sure I will have time to catch up again when everything settles into a normal routine. I hope you are all well and still enjoying your own vacations.

5 comments:

Donna said...

When dear son was in after school program we agreed to a time I would pick him up -- generally about 15-30 minutes later than I was availabe usually. That way the days I was running late it was a non issue, and most days I had time for a quick stop at the coffee shop :-)He appreciated the perdictability, and I appreciated the few minutes to transition from work to "mom"...

Amanda said...

We didn't have such a thing as aftercare when my boys were young. Luckily they finished half an hour later than my own school day, and were a twenty minute drive away. So my classroom never got much of a tidy up at the end of the day!

LuAnn said...

It sounds like your children are adjusting very well to the new routine this year. Here's hoping that you have a classroom(s) full of great students this year. Take care.

Aunt Spicy said...

Good luck with your new class! And your kids sound well adjusted!

ps. the blue/purple quilt really is beautiful!

Amy said...

Hey lady
I sure hope I don't jinx myself by saying this...but
I THINK my routine has finally been found. I EVEN found time for a little bit of sewing today!

I'll am looking forward to when you surface again :0)