Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Remember This?



One of the fun things about being a Girl Scout leader is revisiting the games and crafts of childhood. I get to play and make things and get messy as I introduce the girls to all of the fond memories of my youth. Last night we learned to make friendship bracelets. I had to find a youtube tutorial to remember how they worked, but I got the hang of it pretty fast, and so did the girls.


Look at the concentration of Phoenix's face as she works on hers. I had the girls all put their strings in rainbow order so that I could use the colors to give directions. "Everyone pick up the red and make a 4 as your cross over the orange. Now pull the red under the orange and back up through the loop. Pull tight, good. Do it again. Now put down the orange and pick up the yellow." Some of the girls got it right away and even started to anticipate the next step. We didn't quite get finished, but I told them I'd have a special treat for anyone who brought back a finished bracelet next time. Now I'd better think of a special treat.

Nothing quilty last night obviously. I am going now to dig up some scrap binding for the Happy Chain quilt. There is a division meeting this afternoon and then I promised one of my students I'd come watch the softball game. The house is a mess and the laundry needs folding, but I guess that's all part of life as usual.

1 comment:

Tamara Lund D.C. said...

I remember those. What fun!You sound busy making good memories for those around you